Fall is the season of crisp, cool air, hot tea and going back to school, but it’s also a fruitful time of harvest. Aside from apples and pumpkins, incorporating an abundance of seasonal produce will keep your immune system strong and your healthy, active lifestyle goals on track through winter.
Here are some common, nutrient-rich fall fruits and vegetables to add to your shopping list:
- Cranberries: Considered one of the world’s healthiest fruits, cranberries are packed with more antioxidants than blueberries! They contain vitamins C, E and K1, which are essential for maintaining skin, muscles and bones. Try these as a juice or even as a paleo sauce for Thanksgiving.
- Sweet potatoes: No matter the variety of sweet potato, all are rich in fiber and contain an array of vitamins and minerals, including iron, calcium and selenium. They’re also a good source of vitamins B and C. On top of that, sweet potatoes promote a healthy digestive and immune system. Add sweet potatoes to any meal or as a topper on a fresh salad.
- Cauliflower: Full of phytonutrients, which have been found to reduce the risk of diseases such as obesity, heart disease and some cancers. Cauliflower is one of our favorite fall go-to vegetables. It also contains choline, which helps promote restful sleep, muscle movement, learning and memory. Cauliflower can be added to any vegetable soup or plant-based recipe.
- Eggplant: Fun fact: eggplants are technically fruits, not vegetables! Regardless of its status, this nutrient-dense food is high in fiber, which may help reduce blood sugar levels. Eggplant can be baked, roasted, grilled or sautéed with a drizzle of olive oil and seasoning of choice.
- Apples: A quintessential fall fruit that really can keep the doctor away. From tart to sweet, apples contain dietary fiber, antioxidants, phytonutrients and flavanoids, which support heart health and the nervous system. Pack apples in lunchboxes or in healthy sweets like these Apple Cinnamon Protein Cookies.
Have no fear, if your local grocer is out of these fall fruits and vegetables, Orgain’s Superfoods powder is a great supplement to add to your daily routine. Orgain’s Superfoods powder has 28% of your recommended daily fiber, 5 billion probiotics, 50 organic superfoods and only 50 calories per serving. Or, try an Orgain Vegan All-In-One Protein Shake that contains 21 vitamins and minerals and 16 grams of vegan protein to complement nutritional needs and help you feel satiated longer. Tis the season!
Comment below to share your favorite autumn produce or on social media with #drinkorgain.