While “back to school” may have a completely different meaning for your family this year, just know that you’re not alone. Whether the kids will be going back to an actual classroom or continuing to learn from home, there are still some universal rules to help your family adjust to the transition.
In a single word, routine is still king. Okay, “fun” is up there, too.
Just like many experts suggest adults prepare for their workday much like they would if they were at the office, it’s important to get your kiddos or teens on a schedule as well. The element of routine will help them get into the proper mindset to focus on learning.
Think to yourself, “What would I do if this were a normal school day?” and go from there. Here are some ideas for making it go smoothly:
- Wake up at the same time you would for a typical school day.
- Brush those teeth. Comb that hair. Get some school clothes on. No pajamas allowed.
- Eat a healthy breakfast. (Note: we didn’t say it had to be the SAME ol’ breakfast. Try some of these fun recipes to mix it up while keeping it nutritious.)
- Pack a lunch. Yes! Seriously. Meal prepping makes the entire day easier, especially when you can grab something out of the fridge and spend more quality time together.
- Take snack breaks. It’s important for young minds to find high points in the day, and a tasty, nutritious, chocolate shake can be just the thing!
- Create different environments for eating, learning, and playing, if possible. Even if it’s just a different chair in the bedroom or kitchen, designate spots for each activity.
- Try to end the day at the same time every day. This can be harder for ADULTS because work can spill over into the evening hours.
Most importantly: go easy on yourself. It’s important to remember that we’re all trying to figure this out at the same time. You are only human, and so are your family members. If something doesn’t go right today, try, try again tomorrow.
Good luck, and happy learning! We’d love to hear about other tips you may have to make the school day easier. Share with us on Instagram @drinkorgain.