Dieting has been a go-to approach for weight loss for decades, but most who’ve tried dieting aren’t successful at maintaining this regimen or keeping weight off. The reason? Going into a major calorie deficit or eliminating entire food and nutrition groups isn’t the key to long-term success and will not reduce the risk of some diseases, no matter what your health and fitness goals are. The essentials to successful weight management lie in consistent exercise and refraining from dieting by practicing regular, healthy eating habits.
Learning how to make a routine of healthier and mindful nutrition choices means more control, higher energy levels improved body image and a more positive relationship with food. But the factors underlying successful weight management need to be addressed in stages. Ready to begin?!
What Factors Influence Our Eating Behaviors?
Culture, evolution, individual, economic status and psychological factors influence behavior and healthy eating habits. We suggest these self-assessment strategies:
- Ready for change: What needs to be done to achieve your weight loss goals and ensure your commitment to them?
- Self monitoring: What triggers you to eat in the moment? Being mindful of food choices and portions helps you stay focused on long-term progress.
- Ditch unhealthy habits: Focus on stimulus control like removing junk food from your home and replacing it with healthier alternatives that still satisfy that sweet craving.
Keys to Staying on Track for a Healthy Lifestyle
Experts say changes in your day-to-day lifestyle are next so use these following tips as a guide:
- Don’t skip meals: Really! Regular and balanced meals support the natural biological functions of the body.
- If hunger is taking over completely, try an Orgain Organic Protein Bar for an easy snack on-the-go, or add a serving of Orgain Keto Collagen Protein Powder on top of yogurt or mixed in a cup of steel oats.
- Keep track of your nutrient intake: Apps like MyFitness Pal, Lose It and the Healthy Eating Planner can help you keep up with your busy lifestyle.
- Watch what you eat: As you’re keeping track of what, when and how much you eat, you should think of where you eat. Avoid eating when you’re driving, working and watching TV to be fully present during meals.
- Life without sweets is hard, but we’ve got you covered with a healthy alternative - Chocolate Keto Breakfast Brownies. Save the recipe!
- Say no to post dinner snacks: Once dinner is complete, the amount of calories consumed should be limited. Brushing your teeth immediately after your meal helps with cravings by telling your brain that you are finished eating.
- Meal prep and planning: Weekdays can be hectic, which is why planning and prepping your week’s meals is a lifesaver. Although it takes time out of weekend plans, getting recipes organized and packaged in your fridge will ensure you meet your nutrition goals. Plus, it’s more cost effective. (Psst, check out our recipe page for some healthy meals you can prep in advance).
- Don’t overlook your drinks: Many flavored beverages have a lot of extra calories that can be eliminated. Drinks like juice, soda, sweet teas, energy drinks, alcohol and flavored coffees will put a big dent in your daily calorie budget.
- Be kind to yourself: Well-being and long-term weight management success means finding happiness and meaning in life too, and sometimes happiness comes in the form of a cookie or a glass of wine, in moderation. Don’t beat yourself up when you lapse; this is a lifestyle change, get back to your routine as soon as possible.
Comment below to share your tips for long-term healthy eating or share them on social media with #drinkorgain.