Whether you are new to all things keto or have been on the keto diet for a while, it never hurts to try out some new recipes so that you have a wider variety of snacking options.
In short, the ketogenic diet consists of low carbs and high fat, and it is cited for its ability to help with weight loss. The large reduction in the number of carbohydrates you are consuming can put your body into a metabolic state called ketosis, and once this occurs, your body becomes much more efficient at burning fat as an energy source.
Sounds simple enough, right? The ketogenic diet does not have to be as complicated as it may seem, and in fact, many common, popular foods can easily be transformed into delicious, keto-friendly meals or snacks.
One of the biggest misconceptions surrounding the keto diet is that you will have to majorly change the kinds of foods you eat. This does not have to be the case, as keto snacks and meals can easily be created using your favorite ingredients.
Let’s take a look at a few of our favorite keto-friendly snacks that can even double as light meals, or a tasty treat for on-the-go.
Nut Butter & Chocolate Keto Protein Bars
Keto protein bars are a great way to help satisfy your sweet tooth, plus they can really help for cravings on the go considering convenience stores and your local cafe may not be the most keto-friendly places to grab a bite!
For this keto-friendly, protein packed recipe, you will need:
- ½ cup nut butter of your choice (we love peanut or almond!)
- 2 tbsp Orgain Keto Protein Powder
- 1 ½ tbsp monk fruit sweetener
- 4 oz Stevia-sweetened chocolate chips
- Parchment paper
- Combine nut butter, protein powder, and monk fruit sweetener to form a dough. Shape into squares or rectangles as desired and lay out onto a sheet of parchment paper.
- To make the outer chocolate coating, use a double boiler to melt the chocolate chips.
- Use a fork to help you dip the shaped dough into the chocolate, then lay onto the parchment paper.
- Let cool to set (can stick in the refrigerator if you just can’t wait!)
Going along with the previous recipe are these keto crackers, perfect for pairing with your homemade guac. These crackers are easy and delicious, and give you a new way to enjoy your favorite dips. They are even tasty enough to eat them by themselves! You will need:
- 1 cup of almond flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, or 1 egg and 1 tbsp of melted coconut oil for cheeseless crackers
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1-2 tbsp water, only use if dough is not forming well
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a high speed blender or food processor to blend the almond flour, shredded cheese, and salt until a dough is formed. If the dough appears to be too crumbly, add a tablespoon of water. If it is still too dry, add one more tablespoon.
- Transfer the dough out of the blender and onto the lined baking sheet, then place another piece of parchment paper on top of the dough. Before rolling the dough with a rolling pin, press down on it until it is about ¼ of an inch thick. Then, use a rolling pin to form the dough into a rectangle.
- Remove the parchment paper from the top of the dough and use a pizza cutter to slice the dough into squares.
- Bake the crackers for 12 minutes or until golden, flipping them halfway through. Remove them and let them cool completely before enjoying!
Spinach and Cheese Quiche Muffins
Spinach and cheese quiche muffins are a delicious keto-friendly snack that can double as a quick and easy meal for days when you are on-the-go or just want something small. This recipe is flavorful and yields 16 servings, and can be altered for more protein by adding in keto protein powder. You will need:
- 10 large eggs
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cracked pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 5 chopped fresh sage leaves
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup of your favorite cheese- we think shredded cheddar is the perfect choice for this recipe!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk all of your eggs.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients into the same mixing bowl, and mix everything thoroughly!
- Line a 16-cavity muffin tin with muffin liners.
- Fill each muffin cavity with the egg mixture about ¾ of the way. Take care not to fill them up to the top, because they will rise.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy, or store them in the fridge for later!
Caprese Salad Skewers
These caprese salad skewers are a super simple way to spice up your everyday snacks, and they are also perfect for a quick lunch. The skewers also allow them to be portable, making them great for on-the-go days or snacks at work. You will need:
- Cherry tomatoes, whole
- Mozzarella, cut into cubes
- Fresh basil
- Balsamic glaze or olive oil
- Place each ingredient onto a skewer, alternating between tomatoes, cheese, and basil
- Drizzle your favorite balsamic glaze over each skewer, or opt for olive oil if you want something more mild. You can also add balsamic or olive oil to a cup and use it for dipping, instead.
- Top with salt and cracked pepper to taste, and enjoy!
While keto can seem like an overwhelming change in diet at first, it does not have to be as complicated as it seems. Keto can be made easy, and significantly less overwhelming, by simply rethinking some of your favorite foods and ingredients.
Plenty of common foods, like eggs and cheese, can be made into delicious, keto-friendly snacks, and adding in protein powder can boost the nutritional value even more.
The ketogenic diet can have plenty of benefits, including weight loss thanks to ketosis, which allows your body to be more efficient at burning fat for energy.
If you have been debating making the switch to the ketogenic diet, or just needed some convincing to stay on the keto diet, look no further. Though it may take some getting used to, the ketogenic diet can be highly beneficial and delicious, especially if you take care to include a variety of different foods and recipes.
Plus, with Orgain’s Keto Protein Powders, you’ve got the perfect match for these delicious keto snacks and a powerful helper to get you the protein you need on the daily, whether through collagen or plant protein!