Back to school time is hectic. Changing schedules, packing lunches, and planning after school activities can throw us all for a loop, not to mention all of the time needed to finish homework. With all of these priorities, it’s ever more tempting to just stop and grab a sugary snack to make it through the afternoon, which can quickly throw your health goals off track. If you find yourself in a similarly sticky situation, here are some tricks to make sure you’re doing the best for your own bod and mind.
Meal prepPreparing meals and snacks ahead of time can help alleviate the stress of wondering where you’re going to get your next bite, as well as having to cook when you’ve got work to do. If you make your food in the evening after you’ve finished the day’s tasks, you can just grab it and go when you head out the next morning. By cooking in bulk, you can even prepare an entire weeks worth of lunches in one go. It not only saves you time, but it helps you stay on track towards your wellness goals, while also saves you money. Here is a beginners guide to meal prep:
Pick how you want to meal prep
- Do you prefer individually portioned meals? Frozen or ready-to-cook ingredients?
Create a plan
- Make a menu and schedule of your meals. We recommend doing this ahead of time for the work week.
- Buy in bulk. You can buy basic ingredients in larger containers and quantities for a lower cost than their smaller packaged counterparts.
- Keep an eye on vegetables and fruits that are in-season and implement seasonal produce into your meal prepping menu when possible.
Prepare and store your prepped foods
- Shop it, chop it, and pack it! Airtight containers and tupperware are the key to success if you are refrigerating or freezing your meals.