Spring is here and with brighter, longer days stretching ahead of us, it’s time for spring cleaning! And while giving your windows a good scrub and organizing your closet can make you feel great about welcoming spring, refreshing your nutrition may just spark even more joy. After a long winter of heavy meals and decadent holidays, spring is an ideal time to embrace the new season’s offerings of crisp produce, spring sunshine and a clean start! If all those rich, hearty winter foods left you feeling a little weighed down, give your nutrition a spring forward with these 5 tips!
- Choose clean protein. You already know protein is essential to keeping your body and mind strong and resilient. However, you may need a boost after winter’s long working hours, hectic holidays, and for many, lack of sunshine and time outdoors. Not getting enough protein can result in a foggy brain and feeling run down. Try adding clean protein like Orgain grass fed whey protein or our plant-based protein powders to your coffee, smoothies, or to this superfood hummus to feel as bright and lovely as the flowers in bloom!
- Introduce more fiber. Eating more fiber is one of the keys to better digestion and feeling satisfied longer between snacks and meals. In fact, many fibrous foods make great prebiotics, which feed the healthy bacteria in your gut… you know, the 1 billion friendly probiotic bacteria you get from each scoop of Orgain Organic Superfoods Powder.
- Embrace healthy fats. Winter and its many festive feasts often come with plenty of baked goodies, sweet treats, and less-than nutritious fats like shortening and junky oils. Welcome spring by swapping in healthier fats, like those found in extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, avocados, and nut butters. These nutritious foods can be just as satisfying and delicious as their more processed counterparts, particularly in desserts like in our vegan coffee ice cream or these mini chocolate avocado pudding pies!
- Load up on seasonal produce. The best way to try new ingredients and get out of cooking ruts is to reach for seasonal produce. Eating seasonally optimizes the nutrients in fruits and veggies at their peak freshness while ensuring you get a variety of vitamins and minerals from a wide range of foods. Right now, organic strawberries and blueberries, leeks, spinach, avocados, and rhubarb are some of spring’s all stars in the produce aisle.
- Keep it simple. Spring is a gorgeous time of year for long, breezy walks, hikes, bike rides, and generally enjoying blooms instead of blizzards. Simplify your meals with easy, healthy recipes like these 5 ingredient breakfast bars, fresh salad with collageen green goddess dressing, a tropical anti-inflammatory smoothie, and quick lunches. For the nights you don’t feel like cooking, skip greasy takeout and give this berry blast protein smoothie or a peanut butter chocolate protein shake a whirl and don’t forget to stock your pantry with protein bars and ready to drink protein shakes.
So, go ahead and embrace the life changing magic of a spring refresh and give your own nutrition the same love and care you give to your home, friends, and family!